LESLIE VERIOR CARLSON
1976 Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Pomona College, Claremont, California
Continuing Education, graphic design and fine art
1980-2017 Art Center at Night, Pasadena, California
1985-2003 UCLA Extension
1989-1991 Otis Institute of Parsons School of Design
• 2007 Pulitzer Crystal, "Altered Oceans," part of the Pulitzer prize-winning team. Influenced shift in national oceans policy through contribution to Pulitzer prize-winning five part series on “Altered Oceans” published in 2006
• 2009 Fellowship, “Energy Country Expedition, New Mexico” Environmental Journalism Workshop, Institutes for Journalism and Natural Resources (IJNR)
• 2008 Knight Science Journalism Tracker Commendation
For writing, research, photography, and infographics for news article dealing with critical habitat of peninsular bighorn sheep in the southern deserts.
• 2007 Best Features Designer for Body of Work, Los Angeles Times Editorial Award, including five part series called "Chasing Memory.”
• 2005 Award of Excellence for Information Graphics, SND-Society of Newspaper Design
• 2004 Mapping: "The Backbone Trail" Los Angeles Times Editorial Award for double-truck graphic on the Santa Monica Mountains 75-mile-long trail.
• 2004 Coverage of 2004 Olympic games, Los Angeles Times Editorial Award. Included full-page infographic on history of Athens Olympic games, infographic on 100-meter dash.
• 2004 Fellowship “Klamath Country Expedition” from IJNR, Institutes for Journalism and Natural Resources, 9-day Environmental Journalism Workshop.
• 2003 Pulitzer-Prize winning coverage of Wildfires. Developed innovative aerial imagery of fires using heat-sensing fly-overs from Forest Service. 2003
• 2001-2002 “Shrimp & Crab Cocktail” Director, Writer, and Animator. Creator of 2 -minute computer animated short film. Premiered Dec. 1, 2002, in International Festival of Cinema and Technology in Paris. Completed film in Maya 3D software at Gnomon School of Special Effects in Hollywood, California.
• 2001 Played a major role in all the September 11th graphics, for which the department won three awards: Second-place winner in the 68th National Headliner Awards competition;
2001 Editorial award for “Outstanding Graphics Package” to the graphics staff;
SND-Society of Newspaper Design Award of Excellence: "Attack on the U.S." Graphics & Illustration Los Angeles Times
• 1998, 1996 Awarded "Top Ten of the Times":
1998, for "Energy Development Battlegrounds," a full-page graphic mapping important wildlife areas threatened with oil and gas development;
1996, for a tax preparation graphic.
• 1980-2017 Art Center at Night, Pasadena, California
Professional Practices for Artists, (Jessica Rath, Winter 2017) Passion for Painting- (Tom Knechtel, Samira Yamine 2016), (Salomon Huerta 2015), Wet Paint (John Millei, Adam Smith 2015), Painting Materials & Techniques (John Millei 2015) Interactive Design (2006) Alias 3D Modeling class, (1998) Advanced Painting and Composition (Peter Liashkov subsequent private painting workshops 1996-98) Graphic Design and Marker Comp Courses (1980)
• 2007 & 2009 Flash Training, KnowledgeWorks, Inc., L .A. Times Workshop
• 2008 GIS training in use of Arcview for mapping of data
• 2005 Strata 3D, L.A. Times-sponsored weeklong training course
• 2004 Investigative Journalism Computer Assisted Research Conference
• 2003 ESRI conference
• 2002-03 UCLA Extension Journalism classes in Feature Writing, News Writing1&2, and Writing for the Media,
• 1998-2001 Alias Wavefront Maya training in character construction and character animation, Gnomon School of Special Effects, Hollywood. Completed "Shrimp and Crab Cocktail," a 2 minute animated film with original characters generated entirely in Maya 3D software
• 1992-95 UCLA Extension classes in Computer Animation, Advanced Computer Animation and Video Graphics-Special Effects, 3D Studio
• 1991-92 Intro to the Art & Industry, Basic Animation Mechanics and Head Drawing, American Animation Institute
• 1990-91 Otis Institute of Parsons School of Design, two years of Oil Painting with Franklin Liegel
2011-2017 Partner, Memory to Memoir
Research, write, design, and publish personal histories for unique clients from diverse and fascinating backgrounds and circumstances with our experienced and creative team at Memory to Memoir, memorytomemoir.net
2009-2017 Owner, Leslie V. Carlson, Information Design
Develop graphic design and infographic solutions for clients including: MOSTE Motivating Our Students Through Experience, Jones Lang LaSalle Americas, Inc., The Braille Institute, The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, Consumer Attorneys of California, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, The Original Fish Company, The Journalism Shop.
1996 – 2009 Editorial Designer, Los Angeles Times
Editorial Content Development • Infographics
Developed, researched, designed and created news infographics, illustrations, charts, maps, diagrams, and comprehensive visual information for all sections of the newspaper and its website, latimes.com.
Collaborated with editors, reporters, photographers, graphic artists, designers, advertising department, plate makers, and web developers to coordinate production and meet critical deadlines; built positive relationships with other departments to ensure smooth transition of news stories from concept development to hitting press.
1994 – 1996 On-line Designer, Los Angeles Times
Full-time Designer of on-line service, "TimesLink." Job included development of prototypes for new Web site, extensive interface design and development of graphics.
1988 – 1991 MAHER, KAUMP & CLARK ADVERTISING Art Director
Clients included Becton Dickenson, Medasonics, Serono, Coburn Optical, Acco Cotton, Medical Materials, Evergreen Scientific, Helix/InHealth. Employed as full-time Art Director for 4-color print ads, brochures, booth graphics. Included client contact, management of production department, press checks, vendors, photo-shoots, and budget.
1982 – 1984 MEDLIN & ASSOCIATES ADVERTISING, INC. Art Director
Full-time Art Director for various clients, including Alpine Stereo. Included client contact, management of production department, press checks, vendors, photo-shoots, and budget.
1982 – 2008 FREELANCE
· 1986-95 UCLA Designer: Created cover illustrations for UCLA Performing Arts Quarterly and UCLA Viewbook 1993, in Photoshop. Designed promotional brochures, packages, and direct mail pieces on a full-time freelance basis.
· 1988-91 Cimity Art, Artist Assistant: Star Trek VI: Designed graphics and art to appear on large screen displays on bridge of Starship Enterprise to illustrate major story points. Research, preliminary storyboards, assisted Art Director, executed layouts and parts of backlit animation. Continuing freelance work on various illustration projects. 1988-91
· 1982-84 Getty Museum, Designer: Designed and produced Catalogue of Acquisitions for three years as in-house freelancer.